[Inkscape-devel] Hackfest News Article: Please review
Martin Owens
2017-07-12 15:27:20 UTC
Dear developers,

Here is the draft of the news article. Please review for spellings,
omissions and errors:

https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/827/

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias Ellinghaus
2017-07-12 15:59:10 UTC
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Martin Owens
Here is the draft of the news article. Please review for spellings,
https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/827/
Some remarks after a quick reading:

- 1st paragraph: "where and where" should be "were and where"
- 2nd paragraph: "wifi" should be "WIFI"
- 3rd paragraph: You probably want to start "inkscape" with an uppercase 'I'
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"

Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the work
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Maren Hachmann
2017-07-12 16:22:21 UTC
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?

Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Martin Owens
[...]
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-12 18:03:04 UTC
Tav and I also worked on text line spacing a lot, especially on the last
two days of the hackfest. I made new icons for a line spacing lock that
will replace the question mark button and text line spacing should behave
more intuitively in a future release. We have an implementation checklist
ready for Tav to find time to make the changes.

Elisa and Cedric brought published inkscape books for us to see, and also
helped with ui suggestions. I think they should be mentioned as guests of
honour for the teaching materials they have made over the years. Probably
good to mention they brought their kids who are in the hackfest photos.

Jabier's knot selection feature should be mentioned as he participated
remotely, and achieved a fully implemented solution. It allows knots to be
selected and moved using the node tool, and also keyboard directional keys
to nudge then for precision like you could with nodes previously. This
works on LPE knots as well! Big thanks Jabier!

Would be awesome to see some Of the pics from the BBQ.
There were also plenty of after-hackfest hacking activities. I think it's
good to mention that people who contributed to the hackfest funds got a lot
more work out of the devs than just the 4 days. Great value for money.
Maybe end with a "Thanks hackfest contributors!" And donation link for the
next hackfest in Boston.

Good rundown overall. Thanks for typing it up!

-C
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the
work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-12 18:05:51 UTC
Also worth mentioning the rooms full of students right next to our
backspace using inkscape for their projects, and the fab lab full of
inkscape-made stuff.
Post by C R
[...]
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the
work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Martin Owens
2017-07-12 18:25:25 UTC
Thanks everyone,

There was a lot of changes suggested, hopefully I've encorperated most
of them:

https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/

This is the published URL, ready for sharing on social media. Some
fixes for spelling can still be applied. But hopefully the majority of
the structure is there.

CR: There's no pictures from the BBQ that I could find.

Any updates to the photo gallery, please do send them along. I got only
pictures from CR and none from anyone else (even me). So big thanks to
CR otherwise we'd have no photos this hackfest.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Elisa Godoy de Castro Guerra
2017-07-13 08:38:44 UTC
Hi,

Thanks Maren.
Yes, i work on the english inkscape documentation (not in translating but
in one of the task put in the bug tracker of the documentation). Maren work
with me remotely, with lot of tips etc.

See work on : http://floss.booktype.pro/start-with-inkscape/introduction/

I made some fotos :
visible here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/siWi1NnIVd06rnxW2
I'm happy to put them on the website, but maybe they are too many. So maybe
You can choose some and i put it there.

Cedric work on 2 things :
- 1 : i don't remember, he has discussed with the dev team about.... Tav ?
Mc ?
- 2 : about changing the ui
but both no sucess

2 days work is too little to kind of hack.

Both Cedric and me had think on the suggestion of next improvement about
the text tool of Tav and made some suggestions to him regarding text and
css.

Regards,
Elisa
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the
work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?