[Inkscape-devel] Inkscape freezing while adding grid.
Christophe Lebras
2017-07-19 20:30:15 UTC
Hi,

Please excuse my bad English.

I have a problem with Inkscape since commit d6f2d85a (jemalloc cmake module)

When I add a grid in Inkscape (Document properties/Grids/New), inkscape
freeze and I must kill it.

I’m under Arch Linux with jemalloc 5.0.1.
If i compile without jemalloc or with version 4.5.0, there is no freeze.

I reproduced the problem with openSuse tumbleweed but not with openSuse
42.1 and Ubuntu 17.04.

With debugger, I found that Inkscape freeze in method
DocumentProperties::update_gridspage(), line 1291:

_grids_notebook.remove_page(-1);

and that it's related to RegisteredColorPicker widgets used in method
newSpecificWidget() of classes CanvasXYGrid and CanvasAxonomGrid.

When i comment the code wich pack these widgets, there is no freeze.

Unfortunately, I did not succeed to go further with debugger (I get stuck
with a call to g_object_unref).

I rewrite the code which manage grid properties without using Gtk:Manage
and there is no freeze.

I will clean my code and do a merge request.

If anyone want to look at this problem, there is maybe a better solution.

Best regards,

Christophe
Maximilian Gaukler
2017-07-21 20:22:55 UTC
Hi,

A similar freeze which only appears with jemalloc, and not on
Debian/Ubuntu, was reported as a regression in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1417470 , although AFAIK the
freeze is caused by jemalloc and not the patch in that bug.

Christophe, could you please try if that freeze also affects you? Just
run these two commands:

curl -L
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/inkscape/+bug/1417470/+attachment/4908832/+files/test.svg
test.svg
./bin/inkscape -z -D --file=test.svg --export-pdf=test.pdf --export-latex
# will freeze and not return if the bug happens.

If you get the error, a dockerfile or any working description on how to
compile Inkscape under the relevant distribution(s) would be extremely
helpful.

Thanks,

Max
Christophe Lebras
2017-07-22 02:20:52 UTC
Hi,

I have done the test several times and it freezes almost all the time.

I'll try to make a dockerfile.

Best regards

Christophe