Inkscape Classes?
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-09 00:30:13 UTC
Ubuntu does a really cool thing by holding online "classes" on various
topics, like making patches, using Launchpad, doing Screencasts,
etc. [1] Other FOSS projects do similar.

I think it would be very worthwhile for us to do something like this -
brief 101-level intros to various topics (both usage and development),
if enough of us are able to teach.

How it'd work, is we'd set up #inkscape-classroom in IRC with logging,
and publish a timeline of classes. The teacher would prepare their
lesson plan, including screenshots, sample files, etc., then run the
class for 1 hour (max) and answer questions, and afterwards put the IRC
log into wiki (and clean it up a bit), for future reference.

Some random ideas for topics:

* Using Live Path Effects
* Using Filter Effects
* Creating Icons using Inkscape
* Web Design using Inkscape
* The Open Clip Art Library
* Google SoC Primer
* Translation 101
* Launchpad 101
* Refactoring 101
* Scripting Effects 101
* Bug Triage
* Debugging Inkscape
* Maintaining the Inkscape Windows Port
etc. etc.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good idea? Would you be
interested in teaching a class, or have ideas for topics not listed
above?

If there's enough interest (6+ teachers), I'll go ahead and start
organizing it.

Bryce

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek
Albert Cardona
2008-03-10 01:52:21 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good idea? Would you be
interested in teaching a class, or have ideas for topics not listed
above?
If there's enough interest (6+ teachers), I'll go ahead and start
organizing it.
I always wanted to do a scientific poster making tutorial, but never
found the time.
Getting comitted to teach a class on the subject would make me write it.

I'm in.

Albert
--
Albert Cardona
http://www.mcdb.ucla.edu/Research/Hartenstein/acardona
Ted Gould
2008-03-10 20:20:16 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good idea? Would you be
interested in teaching a class, or have ideas for topics not listed
above?
I'd do one.

--Ted
Jon A. Cruz
2008-03-11 02:39:08 UTC
Sure. Count me in.
ryan lerch

Bernard Gray
2008-03-12 22:20:11 UTC
I'm keen - I'm not particularly good at herding cats so I'd prefer to
be the cat myself and perhaps teach a tute.

An area of inkscape which I really enjoy working with and has enough
depth for a full tutorial (imo) is clones - so I reckon it's worth
adding
I've also just gone through a fairly intensive icon creation period
for sidux so I can do/help with the icon one as well.

Bernie (cleary)
rygle
2008-03-13 12:08:35 UTC
Sounds really good. Perhaps the Wiki thing could go both ways - as a space
both for prep and for summary. The Wiki can be a great asset for beginners,
and these sort of things would really help it along.

I've just had a small go at enhancing
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Win32Port
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Win32Port , to help new Windows devs
and bug testers, but I'm a bit out of my depth. Perhaps someone could take
it another step further with this idea?

Rygle.
rygle
2008-03-13 13:03:37 UTC
Just had a look at the Ubuntu IRC class stuff, for example
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekgutsy/LP_ManageBugs here .

I still think the classes are a great idea, but after looking at Ubuntu's
IRC logs, I wonder whether there is a better medium for information to be
delivered apart from IRC first, and then use the IRC stuff as a follow-up.

Some of my concerns about using IRC as a starting point are;
* The information can be much better structured than IRC and helped with
graphics. The format is very hard on the eyes and hard to find where you are
if you lose your place.
* The volume of info able to be delivered well over IRC in one hour is very
limited and affected by variables like typing speed of the teacher,
interruptions, etc. It is also to a degree off the cuff, and so the quality
of the information is affected. Even if the material is pre-prepared to
enhance the quality, with IRC the teacher is left copying and pasting or
whatever.
* It's hard to communicate an idea, give the student time to work with it,
and then get feedback or field questions, given the time frame. Better to
deliver the major ideas beforehand in some other format, and be able to
refer back to diagram 3, or point 2 under the heading "How to ..."
* I guess a lot of this comes down to quality of communication, which for
foundational stuff is pretty important. IMHO, IRC or similar is better for
follow up of some pre-prepared stuff that can be an assumed pre-requisite.

Some other possible ways to communicate this information well;
* The wiki is capable of delivering well structured notes that can be a
spring board for later stuff
* Alternately we could have some other tutorial stuff in SVG or PDF format
available online, and then follow with IRC
* I love heathenx's videos - they have worked very well for some Inkscape
virgins I am trying to help. Video is a bit harder to make, and can be much
less useful for certain topics like coding, but can be very valuable in
other areas. If content delivery is a hassle, then at the least there is
YouTube.

Cheers,

Rygle
john cliff
2008-03-13 13:12:23 UTC
If it was stable, this is the kinda thing that inkboard would be ideal for.
teacher could just share his doc and do the demo on the fly.
http://www.nabble.com/Inkscape-Classes--tp15922398p16025204.html
Bernard Gray
2008-03-14 02:46:21 UTC
Post by john cliff
If it was stable, this is the kinda thing that inkboard would be ideal for.
teacher could just share his doc and do the demo on the fly.
This is a chicken and egg problem though - currently noone is using
Inkboard, so noone is inclined to work on it and make it useable. If
we could get a process started that would be significantly improved
with the Inkboard tool then somebody is much more likely to scratch
the itch.
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-14 03:12:40 UTC
Post by Bernard Gray
Post by john cliff
If it was stable, this is the kinda thing that inkboard would be ideal for.
teacher could just share his doc and do the demo on the fly.
This is a chicken and egg problem though - currently noone is using
Inkboard, so noone is inclined to work on it and make it useable. If
we could get a process started that would be significantly improved
with the Inkboard tool then somebody is much more likely to scratch
the itch.
Would anyone like to run a session about Inkboard? Perhaps describing
how to set up a server, pointing out a few of the bugs, and outlining
work needing to be done, could be quite valuable.

Bryce
Dale Harvey
2008-03-14 03:25:31 UTC
Inkboard would be perfect for user tutorials.

Given 2 weeks I think I could put inkboard into a workable state, then it
would
be good to have a session about its use / future.
If somone else is committing to getting it workable I wont step on any toes.

If noone else heads it up, can somone give me a start on how to
create dockable dialogs, it sounds like a minor issue but testing inkboard
with
the amount of dialogs you have to manage got fustrating quickly.
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-14 04:05:03 UTC
Post by rygle
I still think the classes are a great idea, but after looking at Ubuntu's
IRC logs, I wonder whether there is a better medium for information to be
delivered apart from IRC first, and then use the IRC stuff as a follow-up.
It may not be evident what the value of these are. The IRC sessions are
not intended to be comprehensive, but short introductory pieces. The
idea is that someone with 0 knowledge on the topic can sit in and absorb
enough to whet their appetite.

But you're right that the maximum effect is gained when there are
supplemental docs. In some cases where there are pre-existing
documentation, the IRC sessions can be just summaries of them,
highlighting the important bits. In other cases, unfortunately no
documentation exists, but that's okay - the IRC sessions provide a
motivation and opportunity to generate them: The teacher might write up
some course notes, or the students might help in converting the raw IRC
logs into something more formal.

Bryce
rygle
2008-03-14 06:54:11 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
It may not be evident what the value of these are. The IRC sessions are
not intended to be comprehensive, but short introductory pieces. The
idea is that someone with 0 knowledge on the topic can sit in and absorb
enough to whet their appetite.
OK. Didn't fully understand that. I think it would still work better
bouncing off even a one page thing prepared before hand. It seemed that the
example I linked to before took an hour to get out less than a page worth of
material.
Post by Bryce Harrington
In other cases, unfortunately no documentation exists, but that's okay -
the IRC sessions provide a
motivation and opportunity to generate them: The teacher might write up
some course notes, or the students might help in converting the raw IRC
logs into something more formal.
I guess I was thinking that if someone is going to put any effort into
thinking about what to say before hand, then it would make sense to use the
Wiki as a scratch pad/work in progress. That might also help others who want
to collaborate and offer feedback. But if it only happens after the fact,
then it's still a win-win situation.

Hopefully this would be an iterative process where last time's IRC chat
becomes next time's kick off notes. A lot like the FOSS programming model.

Cheers, Rygle.
Vangelis Katsikaros
2008-03-13 10:27:29 UTC
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-14 22:32:17 UTC
To determine what times would be best to run these, I did an analysis of
#inkscape IRC log comments for the past 6 months. This counts IRC and
Jabber comments but not join/quit messages:

Time #Cmt Score
00:00 5783 *****
01:00 6994 ******
02:00 6998 ******
03:00 6867 ******
04:00 5427 *****
05:00 4926 ****
06:00 3405 ***
07:00 3224 ***
08:00 2176 **
09:00 2254 **
10:00 1655 *
11:00 2185 **
12:00 3026 ***
13:00 3059 ***
14:00 2989 **
15:00 4775 ****
16:00 5101 *****
17:00 5459 *****
18:00 7227 *******
19:00 7186 *******
20:00 7719 *******
21:00 9296 *********
22:00 8944 ********
23:00 6825 ******
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-15 20:13:22 UTC
Thanks everyone who volunteered to teach classes, it looks like there's
enough basic interest, although we'll need more to cover enough topics.

Here is a page for organizing and scheduling:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes

Bernard, Albert, and Dale, I've listed the classes you expressed
interest in teaching; please select a time that is convenient for you to
hold the sessions.

Ted, could you do a class on doxygen code docs?

Ryan Lerch, could you and Tom tackle teaching the 'Bug Triage' class?

Jon Cruz, could you cover a class on unit testing using cxxtest?

Mental, I think we desperately need a class on code refactoring - would
you mind putting something together on this? (It would also be great if
you could co-pilot the cxxtest class.)

Bulia, would you mind giving a class on using filter effects? If you're
open to doing a second class and don't have something else already in
mind, one about how to code filter effects would be quite valuable.

Ishmal, can you hold a session on Maintaining the Win32 Port, with a
focus on how to get involved in fixing windows bugs reported in
launchpad, including how to build and develop Inkscape on Windows? I
expect there'll also be questions about building Inkscape using Visual
C++ or other IDEs.

Tavmjong, your book is an excellent resource for users needing to
learn Inkscape in and out - could you do a "book talk" on it, perhaps
highlighting a couple topics, and where to obtain it?

Gail, since you've been strongly involved with GSoC and helping students
in general, would you mind running a session on GSoC for Inkscape, that
covers the general questions, and gives students some time to discuss
and get feedback on their proposals?

Inc, could you hold a session on using Drupal? Explain the basics - how
to access it, sign up for accounts, create/edit pages, etc.

ACSpike, would you mind doing one on scripting extensions for Inkscape?

Maximilian, it would be great if you could give a basic overview of the
3D tool infrastructure from a development point of view, and
outline/brainstorm where it can be taken from here, with pointers to key
bugs needing solved, and resources that may be of value to developers in
the future.

Luca, Adib, and Prokoudine, obviously it's too late for 0.46 and too
early for 0.47, but I think it's important to include some translation
training in this program. Would you mind running a session on either an
overview of translation, or perhaps focusing on specific issues relating
to i18n/l10n that need improved in inkscape (code, web, docs, ...)? (Or
both)

Johan Engelen, could you run a class on Using Live Path Effects?

Miklos Erdelyi, could you hold a session on the state of PDF support in
Inkscape, highlighting future work needing to be done, and to provide a
forum for discussing existing bugs reported against PDF and the steps
involved in troubleshooting them?

ScislaC, could you run a session on Writing Tutorials for Inkscape?
An overview of the entire process end to end (including initial content
generation, then on to converting into XML, and finally integration into
Inkscape and placement into the Help menu).

Nicu, you've done a huge amount of great tutorials for Inkscape. Would
you mind holding a session aimed at helping newbie artists develop their
Inkscape artistic skills? It could point to key exercises to master,
and techniques for getting more out of Inkscape.

microUgly, I love your 'Quick Guide to Inkscape', would you be willing
to give a 'Inkscape for Illustrator Users' class, to present your quick
guide and answer questions from those looking to transition from
Illustrator?

I'd also like to see additional classes on using inkscape. In addition
to Nicu's work[0], I see there a lot of great tutorials out there,
on topics such as drawing hair[1], creating diagrams[2], 3D basic
shapes[3], text tricks[4], metal orbs[5], icons[6], and lots more[7,8].
Would people be willing to volunteer for these or other topics?
Basically just point people to the tutorial to work through, and be
online to answer questions they have as they work their way through it.

Bryce

0. http://howto.nicubunu.ro/
1. http://chrisdesign.wordpress.com/2007/12/29/drawing-hairs/
2. http://www.ioncannon.net/utilities/123/10-tips-for-creating-good-looking-diagrams-using-inkscape/
3. http://raikardesigns.blogspot.com/2007/09/illustrating-3d-objects-in-inkscape.html
4. http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/media/inkscape-text-tricks.php
5. http://chrisdesign.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/simple-metal-orb-using-gradients/
6. http://sidux.com/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=InkscapeIconBasicsEN
7. http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/TutorialsAndHelp
8. http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/
Bernard Gray
2008-03-16 09:25:23 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes
Bernard, Albert, and Dale, I've listed the classes you expressed
interest in teaching; please select a time that is convenient for you to
hold the sessions.
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/

P.S. I bags 20:00 UTC Monday and Wednesday ;)
(unfortunately it's not the most convenient of times being early
mornings on a weekday so I can't really be very flexible)
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-16 18:35:41 UTC
Post by Bernard Gray
Post by Bryce Harrington
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes
Bernard, Albert, and Dale, I've listed the classes you expressed
interest in teaching; please select a time that is convenient for you to
hold the sessions.
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/
Hmm, are you able to edit the wiki at all? Is it just the table format
that is causing confusion?
Post by Bernard Gray
P.S. I bags 20:00 UTC Monday and Wednesday ;)
(unfortunately it's not the most convenient of times being early
mornings on a weekday so I can't really be very flexible)
Thanks, got you down.

Hmm, good point about weekdays... I've shifted the schedule a couple
days so that it also covers the weekend of the 29-30th.

Bryce
Bernard Gray
2008-03-17 04:12:43 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bernard Gray
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/
Hmm, are you able to edit the wiki at all? Is it just the table format
that is causing confusion?
It's just the table - I've logged in (username: cleary), the headings
all have an [edit] link next to them, the table doesn't. I can't see a
page edit link anywhere either -
I've also updated some of my clone wiki notes but I can't create a
heading to add the links in the wiki page.
Cool - I'll be able to sit in on a few more hopefully :)
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-17 06:12:13 UTC
Post by Bernard Gray
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bernard Gray
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/
Hmm, are you able to edit the wiki at all? Is it just the table format
that is causing confusion?
It's just the table - I've logged in (username: cleary), the headings
all have an [edit] link next to them, the table doesn't. I can't see a
page edit link anywhere either -
I've also updated some of my clone wiki notes but I can't create a
heading to add the links in the wiki page.
Ahh... There should be an edit link on the far left in the menu that
will allow editing the whole thing.
Bryce
Albert Cardona
2008-03-19 03:38:02 UTC
Post by Bernard Gray
Post by Bryce Harrington
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes
Bernard, Albert, and Dale, I've listed the classes you expressed
interest in teaching; please select a time that is convenient for you to
hold the sessions.
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/
Same here: can't edit the table. If you can put it in, I'd choose April
1st, 22:00 UTC (i.e. 8 PM in USA East Coast, where I am/will be by then).

Albert
Bernard Gray
2008-03-19 03:41:39 UTC
Post by Albert Cardona
Same here: can't edit the table. If you can put it in, I'd choose April
1st, 22:00 UTC (i.e. 8 PM in USA East Coast, where I am/will be by then).
Albert
Hi Albert, the page edit link is an unobtrusive "Edit" in the menu on
the left hand side of the page - I've added your class where you
requested though :)
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-19 05:10:38 UTC
Post by Albert Cardona
Post by Bernard Gray
Post by Bryce Harrington
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes
Bernard, Albert, and Dale, I've listed the classes you expressed
interest in teaching; please select a time that is convenient for you to
hold the sessions.
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/
Same here: can't edit the table. If you can put it in, I'd choose April
1st, 22:00 UTC (i.e. 8 PM in USA East Coast, where I am/will be by then).
Looks like someone got you in. Yeah, I see with the way our current
theme works, it's unclear how to edit the entire page. I've added a
heading above the table so there's a handy edit link now.

(For future reference, there's a edit link for editing the whole page
over on the left side of the page.)

Bryce
Albert Cardona
2008-03-19 11:54:34 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Albert Cardona
Post by Bernard Gray
Hi Bryce, I'd love to but I can't seem to find a way to edit the table
on the wiki :/
Same here: can't edit the table. If you can put it in, I'd choose April
1st, 22:00 UTC (i.e. 8 PM in USA East Coast, where I am/will be by then).
Looks like someone got you in. Yeah, I see with the way our current
theme works, it's unclear how to edit the entire page. I've added a
heading above the table so there's a handy edit link now.
(For future reference, there's a edit link for editing the whole page
over on the left side of the page.)
Bryce
Thanks guys, will edit the contents page ASAP.

Albert
rygle
2008-03-16 12:29:25 UTC
I would be happy to help do some pre or post class cleanups for this stuff in
Wiki in consultation with the appropriate people.

Rygle.
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-16 18:55:13 UTC
Post by rygle
I would be happy to help do some pre or post class cleanups for this stuff in
Wiki in consultation with the appropriate people.
That would be great - could you keep an eye on the Inkscape_Classes and
assist with making the linked pages have consistent information, and
copyediting where needed?

Thanks,
Bryce
Maximilian Albert
2008-03-16 23:33:59 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Thanks everyone who volunteered to teach classes, it looks like there's
enough basic interest, although we'll need more to cover enough topics.
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes
Sorry, but I'm totally confused by the dates. First of all, does April
really have a 31st? :) Second, the dates seem not to coincide at all
with the weekdays listed. Did you instead have March 31 to April 4 (or
with the shifted schedule March 29 to April 2) have in mind?

Thanks for clarifying,
Max
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-16 23:50:25 UTC
Post by Maximilian Albert
Post by Bryce Harrington
Thanks everyone who volunteered to teach classes, it looks like there's
enough basic interest, although we'll need more to cover enough topics.
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Inkscape_Classes
Sorry, but I'm totally confused by the dates. First of all, does April
really have a 31st? :) Second, the dates seem not to coincide at all
with the weekdays listed. Did you instead have March 31 to April 4 (or
with the shifted schedule March 29 to April 2) have in mind?
Thanks for clarifying,
Oh man I screwed that up bad. Yes you're guess is right, I meant
March 29 to April 2. Sorry about that. I've fixed the wiki.

Bryce
Maximilian Albert
2008-03-21 01:23:12 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Oh man I screwed that up bad. Yes you're guess is right, I meant
March 29 to April 2. Sorry about that. I've fixed the wiki.
I'm very sorry, but with this new (corrected) date I don't see a way how
I can possibly fit this in my schedule, especially with my upcoming
exam. So I need to sit out this time. :( But I hope there will be more
opportunities like this and I'll be glad to do a class next time.

Max
Nicu Buculei
2008-03-17 07:57:44 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Nicu, you've done a huge amount of great tutorials for Inkscape. Would
you mind holding a session aimed at helping newbie artists develop their
Inkscape artistic skills? It could point to key exercises to master,
and techniques for getting more out of Inkscape.
It sound interesting, I will consider doing it.
my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/
Ted Gould
2008-03-17 18:12:27 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Ted, could you do a class on doxygen code docs?
I don't mind talking, but what do people want to hear on this subject?

--Ted
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-17 22:06:37 UTC
Post by Ted Gould
Post by Bryce Harrington
Ted, could you do a class on doxygen code docs?
I don't mind talking, but what do people want to hear on this subject?
A basic overview and examples of what makes good docs, plus mentioning
areas where we need to improve. Also, how to generate the docs manually
from the source tree, so people can check their work.

Bryce
J***@ewi.utwente.nl
2008-03-17 19:03:47 UTC
Johan Engelen, could you run a class on Using Live Path Effects?
Because I am uncertain about my time schedule at that time, I'd like to pass, sorry :/

Josh: perhaps you can show people how to make hair?

Also, JFB might be interested in talking about Creating Live Path Effects ?

Cheers,
Johan
Bryce Harrington
2008-03-21 05:39:15 UTC
Thanks Bernard, Albert, Dale, and others who volunteered for this, but
due to lack of general response we'll have to pull the plug on this. I
think your topics would make excellent tutorials, if you'd be interested
in pursuing that angle.

Bryce
Bernard Gray
2008-03-21 05:54:26 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Thanks Bernard, Albert, Dale, and others who volunteered for this, but
due to lack of general response we'll have to pull the plug on this. I
think your topics would make excellent tutorials, if you'd be interested
in pursuing that angle.
Bryce
That's a shame - regardless, I'd already pursued the tutorial angle
prior to these classes. The clones and icon tutes reside @
http://sidux.com/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=InkscapeVectorGraphicsEN
if anyone is interested in checking them out :)

I'll be up for it if the opportunity presents itself again.

Bernie
Marcin Floryan
2008-03-26 13:13:45 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
* Using Live Path Effects
* Using Filter Effects
* Creating Icons using Inkscape
* Web Design using Inkscape
* The Open Clip Art Library
* Google SoC Primer
* Translation 101
* Launchpad 101
* Refactoring 101
* Scripting Effects 101
* Bug Triage
* Debugging Inkscape
* Maintaining the Inkscape Windows Port
etc. etc.
What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good idea? Would you be
interested in teaching a class, or have ideas for topics not listed
above?
I was, among other things, a CS and Physics teacher for the last 8 years or so and would be glad if I could help. My time is somewhat constrained recently with an arrival of a new family member but I think I could prepare something re: Translation. Do you think something like a live web cast could work? I am sure we could find a suitable platform.

Regards,
--
Marcin Floryan
http://marcin.floryan.pl/ [GPG Key ID: 0D5581C5]