[Inkscape-devel] Inkscape Website problems and how to help
Guiu Rocafort
2013-07-21 14:39:14 UTC
Hi !

Today I noticed a problem with the new staging.inkscape.org page. In
the "overview" tab the about and download buttons doesn't fit in the
same row. I checked it using Firefox 22 and Chromium 28.0.1500.52 both
in Ubuntu Studio with the same problem.

Looking a little bit closer I noticed there is a 100px margin in the css class :

#front-banner-overview.buttons-right #front-banner-read-more {
margin-left: 100px;
}

Reducing that margin to 90px ( for instance, and to let some space
between the buttons ) should solve the problem.

There is another problem with the news pages. It seems to complain
about an error with Django 1.5 but no clue about how Django works at
all...

Also noticed a problem with the drop-down language menu. If you don't
move the mouse fast enough the drop-down closes before reaching it.
The problem seems to be the top margin in the drop menu. In that space
the mouse is not being detected as being in the drop-menu element. I
would solve it adding a height fixed empty div inside the drop-menu
with white background so it looks the same but not sure if a good
solution.

I would like to help solving this problems. Also I can help with
Spanish and Catalan translations. So how can I help ?

Thank you
Guiu Rocafort

Krzysztof Kosiński
2013-07-21 15:15:21 UTC
Post by Guiu Rocafort
Hi !
Today I noticed a problem with the new staging.inkscape.org page. In
the "overview" tab the about and download buttons doesn't fit in the
same row. I checked it using Firefox 22 and Chromium 28.0.1500.52 both
in Ubuntu Studio with the same problem.
#front-banner-overview.buttons-right #front-banner-read-more {
margin-left: 100px;
}
Reducing that margin to 90px ( for instance, and to let some space
between the buttons ) should solve the problem.
It would be better to encapsulate these buttons in divs and float them
to the right. This way they would be next to each other regardless of
width.
Post by Guiu Rocafort
There is another problem with the news pages. It seems to complain
about an error with Django 1.5 but no clue about how Django works at
all...
What is the URL?
Post by Guiu Rocafort
Also noticed a problem with the drop-down language menu. If you don't
move the mouse fast enough the drop-down closes before reaching it.
The problem seems to be the top margin in the drop menu. In that space
the mouse is not being detected as being in the drop-menu element. I
would solve it adding a height fixed empty div inside the drop-menu
with white background so it looks the same but not sure if a good
solution.
There should be no gap, probably it appeared as a mistake after some CSS tweaks.
Post by Guiu Rocafort
I would like to help solving this problems. Also I can help with
Spanish and Catalan translations. So how can I help ?
The best way is to make changes directly to the source code of the website:
https://launchpad.net/inkscape-web
Push your changes as a branch and then request a merge. See this wiki
page if you are new to Bazaar. You can also contact me off-list if you
need help.
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Working_with_Bazaar

Regards, Krzysztof
Guiu Rocafort
2013-07-21 23:39:45 UTC
Post by Krzysztof Kosiński
Post by Guiu Rocafort
Hi !
Today I noticed a problem with the new staging.inkscape.org page. In
the "overview" tab the about and download buttons doesn't fit in the
same row. I checked it using Firefox 22 and Chromium 28.0.1500.52 both
in Ubuntu Studio with the same problem.
#front-banner-overview.buttons-right #front-banner-read-more {
margin-left: 100px;
}
Reducing that margin to 90px ( for instance, and to let some space
between the buttons ) should solve the problem.
It would be better to encapsulate these buttons in divs and float them
to the right. This way they would be next to each other regardless of
width.
I see, yes that's a better solution. I'll take a look when I'm a
little bit more used to the bazaar repository folder structure and try
to fix that.
Post by Krzysztof Kosiński
Post by Guiu Rocafort
There is another problem with the news pages. It seems to complain
about an error with Django 1.5 but no clue about how Django works at
all...
What is the URL?
The urls are causing the errors are:
http://staging.inkscape.org/en/news/2013/
http://staging.inkscape.org/en/news/2012/
http://staging.inkscape.org/en/news/2011/
Post by Krzysztof Kosiński
Post by Guiu Rocafort
Also noticed a problem with the drop-down language menu. If you don't
move the mouse fast enough the drop-down closes before reaching it.
The problem seems to be the top margin in the drop menu. In that space
the mouse is not being detected as being in the drop-menu element. I
would solve it adding a height fixed empty div inside the drop-menu
with white background so it looks the same but not sure if a good
solution.
There should be no gap, probably it appeared as a mistake after some CSS tweaks.
I can see there is still a gap. If you move the mouse down very slowl
you'll be able to see it This gap is being caused by the
ul, ol rule in main.css.

I attach a diff with a little change which solves that.
Post by Krzysztof Kosiński
Post by Guiu Rocafort
I would like to help solving this problems. Also I can help with
Spanish and Catalan translations. So how can I help ?
https://launchpad.net/inkscape-web
Push your changes as a branch and then request a merge. See this wiki
page if you are new to Bazaar. You can also contact me off-list if you
need help.
http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Working_with_Bazaar
Regards, Krzysztof
I see i'll have to spend a few days getting used to Django and also to Bazaar.

Thank you for your time.
Guiu Rocafort
Martin Owens
2013-07-22 04:42:09 UTC
I got that year/month news error sorted out.

I've also deployed the latest search code, the website is searchable via
language and in a sensible way. We're already carrying a forked
cmsplugin_news, so indexing news was easy enough. I decided that since
cms_search_plugin (which indexes the cms pages) was not compatible with
2.0 haystack that I should fork that too and apply the required patches.
I ended up having to gut the indexing because it's multi-language
support was done wrong. But instead of carrying this code on our tree,
I've forked it into a module and have it available on pypi:

https://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=cmsplugin-search&version=0.7.2

This means we have two indexes, pages and news, both have multi-language
support and both search only for the items in the selected language.

Have a good week everyone, I'm going to put the website stuff in the
fridge and just apply merges. I'll be in England for two weeks and may
not always have net access.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz
2013-07-22 09:37:59 UTC
One cuestion about contents.

How to detect colisions with database contents and new files added to
the website direcly intead with a bzr?
Maybe the editors need be only allowed by bzr?

Best regards, Jabier.
Martin Owens
2013-07-22 11:14:46 UTC
Post by Jabiertxo Arraiza Cenoz
How to detect colisions with database contents and new files added to
the website direcly intead with a bzr? Maybe the editors need be only
allowed by bzr?
The CMS is deliberately set up to allow the website to be curated
without the need for programming skills. There may be conflicts, but I
hope these will calm down significantly as pages are developed.

Martin