[Inkscape-devel] Windows 10, cmake, cannot compile rev f80d5b44
alvinpenner
2017-07-06 10:58:34 UTC
commit f80d5b44e2fdad56b6aad9ca7fb14f44c835915c
Author: Tavmjong Bah <***@free.fr>
Date: Thu Jul 6 11:32:09 2017 +0200

Don't check if icon exists in default theme since that prevents use of
fallback icons.
attempting to compile this rev, I get the following sequence of errors,
after re-trying about 4 times:

[ 28%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj
[ 28%] Building CXX object
src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/svg/svg-color.cpp.obj
C:\Users\penne_000\AppData\Roaming\InkscapeGit\inkscape\src\io\http.cpp:36:26:
fatal error: libsoup/soup.h: No such file or directory
[ 28%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj
[ 28%] Building CXX object
src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/ui/clipboard.cpp.obj
C:\Users\penne_000\AppData\Roaming\InkscapeGit\inkscape\src\io\http.cpp:36:26:
fatal error: libsoup/soup.h: No such file or directory
[ 28%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj
[ 28%] Building CXX object
src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/ui/tool-factory.cpp.obj
C:\Users\penne_000\AppData\Roaming\InkscapeGit\inkscape\src\io\http.cpp:36:26:
fatal error: libsoup/soup.h: No such file or directory
[ 28%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj
[ 28%] Building CXX object
src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/ui/tools-switch.cpp.obj
C:\Users\penne_000\AppData\Roaming\InkscapeGit\inkscape\src\io\http.cpp:36:26:
fatal error: libsoup/soup.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
src\CMakeFiles\inkscape_base.dir\build.make:5112: recipe for target
'src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj' failed
mingw32-make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj]
Error 1
mingw32-make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CMakeFiles\Makefile2:338: recipe for target
'src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/all' failed
mingw32-make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

Eduard Braun
2017-07-06 12:16:04 UTC
Post by alvinpenner
attempting to compile this rev, I get the following sequence of errors,
[ 28%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/io/http.cpp.obj
[ 28%] Building CXX object
src/CMakeFiles/inkscape_base.dir/svg/svg-color.cpp.obj
fatal error: libsoup/soup.h: No such file or directory
Hi Alvin,

you're missing the library libsoup. Martin added it as a dependency in
[1] (if you re-run CMake it would fail immediately because of this).

I'm afraid you're out of luck if you want to continue to use devlibs64
as they don't include this library. I also don't think it makes sense to
put any effort into compiling it, because MSYS2 provides it
out-of-the-box (su_v already provided the MR to support it [2]).
I don't know what Martin plans to use this dependency for, but I guess
he added it as required for a reason...

Regards,
Eduard

[1]
https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/commit/b264288033bb76311556258914f1ddc043c922e7
[2] https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/merge_requests/38
Martin Owens
2017-07-06 12:25:08 UTC
Post by Eduard Braun
I don't know what Martin plans to use this dependency for, but I
guess he added it as required for a reason...
Sorry for the build issues. The new dep is to get rid of gvfs/gio for
ocal (open clipart library), should remove one of the issues for the
Mac osx package.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
alvinpenner
2017-07-06 12:30:29 UTC
okay, well, in that case I think I will retire from the field, this is
getting too complicated...

Alvin

Eduard Braun
2017-07-06 12:45:45 UTC
Post by alvinpenner
okay, well, in that case I think I will retire from the field, this is
getting too complicated...
Alvin
That would be quite unfortunate...

I'd really like to encourage you to look into MSYS2 for building
Inkscape as it actually gets rid of many of those complications!
If you need some help getting started, I'd be happy to help out if there
should be any issues.

Regards
Eduard
alvinpenner
2017-07-06 14:08:10 UTC
well, I guess I will never go away completely, Inkscape is after all a
very promising program; it is just that the scope of the changes in Inkscape
(both the build and the repository and the usage), and the rapidity at which
they are being made, is very intimidating to the casual observer like me.
It would be nice to have some kind of official position established by
the Inkscape board as to what the future holds as far as the build procedure
is concerned. Not much point in learning a new repository system and a new
build system if they are both going to be obsolete in 6 months from now...

(just a plea for some stability)
Alvin

alvinpenner
2017-07-06 14:14:45 UTC
I apologize for the snarky tone, I do not wish to offend, but it has been a
rather difficult six months...

Alvin

Martin Owens
2017-07-06 14:31:09 UTC
Hi Alvin,

Sorry to hear of the issues you've been facing.

As a board member, our remit on the board is for project level
decisions. We can vote on money, discuss trademark and have only a
honorary position when it comes to social leadership.

For technical decisions, the group that decides those is the developers
group. Which is pretty wide. But also open to all those who have
committed code. We try and reach consensus and try and be considerate.
Obviously platform specific issues are a little harder because us Linux
devs won't know for sure how the build will be effected for windows.

But your testing is valuable for that at least.

Thanks for your contributions thus far.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
alvinpenner
2017-07-06 14:50:09 UTC
Post by Martin Owens
For technical decisions, the group that decides those is the developers
group.

thanks, I was not aware of that. I just kind of assumed that those decisions
were made by the board. Anyways, as for MSYS, I think I'll hold off for a
little while and see what the future brings. I'd like to see what the future
role of devlibs64 will be on Windows.

Alvin