Fw: Menu refresh
John Smith
2012-05-09 14:34:52 UTC
Any thoughts on changes to the main menu layout ?

1. Move "File->Inkscape Preferences" to "Edit->Preferences"

This seems to be the preferred location in the Gnome HIG http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.4/menus-standard.html.en

2. Move "Edit->Clone" to "Object->Clone"

Does this make more sense, since we are really cloning objects ?

3. Split View menu (including Show/Hide submenu) into 2 menus - View (UI "decorating" the main view) and Window (dockable dialogs)
View->Grid
View->Snap

View->Commands Bar

View->Toolbox
View->Rulers
View->Scrollbars
View->Palette
View->Status Bar ... etc

Window->Icon Preview
Window->Input Devices

Window->Memory
Window->Messages
Window->Swatches
Window->Show/Hide dialogs

4. Merge "File->Document Metadata" into "File->Document Properties"
Alexandre Prokoudine
2012-05-09 14:58:47 UTC
Post by John Smith
[...]
Personally I never understood why we splitted it before.

+1 on all points.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org
Alex Valavanis
2012-05-09 15:05:48 UTC
All sound good to me :)

AV

Kris De Gussem
Same for me. +1 on all points.
Chris Morgan
2012-05-09 23:05:00 UTC
About "File -> Inkscape Preferences...", which you are proposing to change
to "Edit -> Preferences...": remember that that is only the GNOME way of
doing it.

GNOME: Edit -> Preferences (yes, the ellipsis really isn't there)
KDE: Settings -> Configure Inkscape...
OS X: Inkscape -> Preferences..., or something like that, I think?
Windows: Tools -> Options...

As it stands, we don't have "Settings" or "Tools" menus. I don't think we
have any especial use for either either.

On Windows, new users will not even think of looking for app configuration
in the Edit menu. There, I think "File -> Inkscape Preferences..." is a
slightly better position.

On KDE? I don't know.

I'm not sure how Inkscape appears on OS X. Does this need fixing? Can it
be? (Is it still being run in X11?)

So, I suggest that moving File -> Inkscape Preferences... to Edit ->
Preferences only be done in a GNOME environment or only on Linux. (Having
it in different places in different desktop environments is common practice
in other programs, e.g. Firefox.)
John Cliff
2012-05-09 23:12:39 UTC
I wouldnt mess with the preferences location, you invalidate every
helpful historical thing thats out there in google the minute you move
it.
Not sure I care either way about the others.

J. F. Lemaire
2012-05-10 07:23:00 UTC
Post by Chris Morgan
About "File -> Inkscape Preferences...", which you are proposing to change
to "Edit -> Preferences...": remember that that is only the GNOME way of
doing it.
Not really. See below.
Post by Chris Morgan
Windows: Tools -> Options...
On Windows, new users will not even think of looking for app configuration
in the Edit menu.
They better get used to it, since, among others, InDesign, Photoshop,
Illustrator, Adobe Reader, FileZilla have it there.

Cheers,
JFL
Jean-François Lemaire
Ivan Louette
2012-05-10 08:26:21 UTC
If I remember well Edit/Preferences was a standard on most graphics programs I used on Windows and only a few ones used Tools/Options instead. It's the same on KDE.

ivan

________________________________
De : Chris Morgan <***@gmail.com>
À : John Smith <***@yahoo.com>
Cc : "inkscape-***@lists.sourceforge.net" <inkscape-***@lists.sourceforge.net>
Envoyé le : Jeudi 10 mai 2012 1h05
Objet : Re: [Inkscape-devel] Fw: Menu refresh

Josh Andler
2012-05-10 08:34:01 UTC
I thought so too... I really don't see too much harm. This is the cycle to
invalidate previous documentation imho.

Cheers,
Josh
------------------------------
John Smith
2012-05-11 11:47:25 UTC
Post by John Smith
Move "File->Inkscape Preferences" to "Edit->Preferences"
Good to hear lots on comments on this ... so far 80% approve, so i will look to commit this shortly.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/169759
Post by John Smith
Merge "File->Document Metadata" into "File->Document Properties"
Seems to be no concerns here so will do this as well.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/997888

Thanks for everyones input.

________________________________
On May 10, 2012 1:28 AM, "Ivan Louette" <***@yahoo.fr> wrote:

If I remember well Edit/Preferences was a standard on most graphics programs I used on Windows and only a few ones used Tools/Options instead. It's the same on KDE.
Post by John Smith
ivan
________________________________
Yann Papouin
2012-05-11 12:07:13 UTC
About Metadata, it would be nice to be able to set default values (stored
in preferences.xml ?) that can be save/restore with buttons.
It is so boring to have to rewrite (or copy/paste from an anoter document)
everything for each files (that why I'm using a text edtir to direcly edit
the SVG file).
~suv
2012-05-11 12:24:32 UTC
Post by Yann Papouin
About Metadata, it would be nice to be able to set default values (stored
in preferences.xml ?) that can be save/restore with buttons.
Here's the related feature request for this:
Bug #612221 "Add metadata default configuration in the preferences"
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/612221>
Post by Yann Papouin
It is so boring to have to rewrite (or copy/paste from an anoter document)
everything for each files (that why I'm using a text edtir to direcly edit
the SVG file).
Independent of above feature request: For new files, you could create a
custom default.svg template with your metadata already filled in?

~suv
John Smith
2012-05-14 07:46:40 UTC
Post by Yann Papouin
About Metadata, it would be nice to be able to set default values (stored
in preferences.xml ?) that can be save/restore with buttons.
I've added a patch with some basic load/save default metadata features.
Please take a look if you can ...

~suv
Susan Spencer
2012-05-14 19:05:26 UTC
It would also be helpful to add command line options:

inkscape --preferences=mydefault_preferences.xml
--template=mydefault_template.svg

- Susan
Re: [Inkscape-devel] Re : Fw: Menu refresh
Nicolas Dufour
2012-05-11 12:25:51 UTC
About Metadata, it would be nice to be able to set default values (stored in preferences.xml ?) that can be save/restore with buttons.
It is so boring to have to rewrite (or copy/paste from an anoter document) everything for each files (that why I'm using a text edtir to direcly edit the SVG file).
That's Bug #612221 "Add metadata default configuration in the preferences"

Nicolas
j***@swissonline.ch