[Inkscape-devel] Bool LPE ready to merge
Miguel Lopez
2017-07-18 03:50:28 UTC
Sounds great! I am going to have to get around testing this at some
point. By the way, is there anything else missing from earlier versions
of Inkscape? The fact that some people still use Inkscape .4 something
something confuzzle me, and I have no idea why would they use earlier
versions of Inkscape.
Dear Jabier & Inkscape Team,
I think the Bool LPE updates are ready to merge. I already created a
merge request a while ago (MSoegtrop:lpe-bool-hide-operand).
- split bool LPE into bool LPE and cut/trim path LPE
- automatically hide/unhide operand paths
- issue error message if operand paths have wrong type (open/closed)
- LPE works directly on any object for "this" and operand.
I think the changes in the .POT file in
https://gitlab.com/MSoegtrop/inkscape/compare/master...lpe-bool-hide-operand
Jabier mentioned are ok - it was regenerated to add the new strings from
my files.
Best regards,
Michael
Maren Hachmann
2017-07-18 14:31:15 UTC
Post by Miguel Lopez
Sounds great! I am going to have to get around testing this at some
point. By the way, is there anything else missing from earlier versions
of Inkscape? The fact that some people still use Inkscape .4 something
something confuzzle me, and I have no idea why would they use earlier
versions of Inkscape.
I think I can give some input on this, based on what I read on the
forums and my own experiences:

- 0.91, 64 bit was unbearably slow on some Windows machines, due to a
bug with the rulers, thus people went back to 0.48.5 (not everyone reads
release notes)
- the layer transform bug in 0.91 and more frequent crashes also
prompted people to go back to 0.48.5 (which was /the/ most stable
Inkscape release I've ever used - although 0.92.1 comes close, on Linux
- but not on Windows, as far as I read.)
- the black printing/exporting bug in 0.91 was a big issue for many
Windows users
- many makers depend on extensions that work with old versions, but
have not been updated to work with 0.91 or even 0.92. Some of these
issues are related to unit conversion, with exported files being scaled
incorrectly.
- some people who use text a lot have been confused with the text tool
in 0.92 and find it difficult to use, thus go back to 0.91 (I'm one of
those, admittedly - I've got some important text-heavy files, that I'm
afraid of wrecking when switching to 0.92.1, even though su_v has helped
make sure they'll convert correctly. I'm looking forward to Tav's and
CR's work on improving usability of the tool.)
- the unit conversion has made people feel insecure, fearing they
might lose data (heard this rarely, though)
- some people need printing on Windows, which doesn't work well for
them in 0.91+
- some people still use old Linux distros and get 0.91, or, esp. on
Windows, don't know there are newer versions available. Some use macOS,
and there's only 0.91 officially available.

Those are the most frequent reasons I hear/read about.

Maren
Jabier Arraiza