[Inkscape-devel] Hackfest News Article: Please review
Martin Owens
2017-07-12 15:27:20 UTC
Dear developers,

Here is the draft of the news article. Please review for spellings,
omissions and errors:

https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/827/

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias Ellinghaus
2017-07-12 15:59:10 UTC
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Martin Owens
Here is the draft of the news article. Please review for spellings,
https://inkscape.org/en/news/unpublished/827/
Some remarks after a quick reading:

- 1st paragraph: "where and where" should be "were and where"
- 2nd paragraph: "wifi" should be "WIFI"
- 3rd paragraph: You probably want to start "inkscape" with an uppercase 'I'
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"

Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the work
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Maren Hachmann
2017-07-12 16:22:21 UTC
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?

Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Martin Owens
[...]
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-12 18:03:04 UTC
Tav and I also worked on text line spacing a lot, especially on the last
two days of the hackfest. I made new icons for a line spacing lock that
will replace the question mark button and text line spacing should behave
more intuitively in a future release. We have an implementation checklist
ready for Tav to find time to make the changes.

Elisa and Cedric brought published inkscape books for us to see, and also
helped with ui suggestions. I think they should be mentioned as guests of
honour for the teaching materials they have made over the years. Probably
good to mention they brought their kids who are in the hackfest photos.

Jabier's knot selection feature should be mentioned as he participated
remotely, and achieved a fully implemented solution. It allows knots to be
selected and moved using the node tool, and also keyboard directional keys
to nudge then for precision like you could with nodes previously. This
works on LPE knots as well! Big thanks Jabier!

Would be awesome to see some Of the pics from the BBQ.
There were also plenty of after-hackfest hacking activities. I think it's
good to mention that people who contributed to the hackfest funds got a lot
more work out of the devs than just the 4 days. Great value for money.
Maybe end with a "Thanks hackfest contributors!" And donation link for the
next hackfest in Boston.

Good rundown overall. Thanks for typing it up!

-C
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the
work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-12 18:05:51 UTC
Also worth mentioning the rooms full of students right next to our
backspace using inkscape for their projects, and the fab lab full of
inkscape-made stuff.
Post by C R
[...]
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the
work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Martin Owens
2017-07-12 18:25:25 UTC
Thanks everyone,

There was a lot of changes suggested, hopefully I've encorperated most
of them:

https://inkscape.org/en/news/2017/07/12/what-happened-hackfest-2017/

This is the published URL, ready for sharing on social media. Some
fixes for spelling can still be applied. But hopefully the majority of
the structure is there.

CR: There's no pictures from the BBQ that I could find.

Any updates to the photo gallery, please do send them along. I got only
pictures from CR and none from anyone else (even me). So big thanks to
CR otherwise we'd have no photos this hackfest.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Elisa Godoy de Castro Guerra
2017-07-13 08:38:44 UTC

Thanks Maren.
Yes, i work on the english inkscape documentation (not in translating but
in one of the task put in the bug tracker of the documentation). Maren work
with me remotely, with lot of tips etc.

See work on : http://floss.booktype.pro/start-with-inkscape/introduction/

I made some fotos :
visible here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/siWi1NnIVd06rnxW2
I'm happy to put them on the website, but maybe they are too many. So maybe
You can choose some and i put it there.

Cedric work on 2 things :
- 1 : i don't remember, he has discussed with the dev team about.... Tav ?
Mc ?
- 2 : about changing the ui
but both no sucess

2 days work is too little to kind of hack.

Both Cedric and me had think on the suggestion of next improvement about
the text tool of Tav and made some suggestions to him regarding text and
css.

Regards,
Elisa
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
- 3rd paragraph: "svg" should be spelled "SVG"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gimp" should be spelled "GIMP"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gtk3" should be spelled "GTK3", "Gtk" should be "GTK"
- 3rd paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 3rd paragraph: "glade" -> "Glade"
- 5th paragraph: "Gimp" -> "GIMP"
- 5th paragraph: "xpm" -> "XPM"
- 6th paragraph: "Gnome" -> "GNOME"
- 6th paragraph: "allow no only" -> "allow not only"
- 7th paragraph: "Although this was fine" misses a "but ..." part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" -> "and to thank everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you mention the
work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Elisa de Castro Guerra
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Owens
2017-07-13 15:36:52 UTC
Thanks Elisa,

Can you add all the photos under your account on inkscape.org? I'll
make sure they go into the right gallery, but if you upload them, then
the attribution is to you, which is the best way.

You can drag and drop onto the blue submit button here:

https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=photograph/elisa-hackfest-2017/

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Hi,
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-14 07:54:52 UTC
If we are okay with waiting until the weekend, I can do a write-up of
the hackfest, and add more pictures, and include what was exciting for
me about what we accomplished. I think the current write-up is quite
good, so I'll use it as a basis and reference for my version.

I feel we could shout more about the venue (it was an incredible
place!) and give an insight into the excitement that accompanies the
hackfest event. Maybe get more people excited about joining us next
time, if we'd like that.

-C
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-14 07:57:52 UTC
We could also add some links to screenshots and materials of what was
worked on to show some of the great work that was done by each member
of our hackfest team (meybe it would be good to include the pieces
that were worked on in the mouse-over information of the hackfest
photo too?

Thoughts?
-C
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
C R
2017-07-14 08:29:15 UTC
To my mind, the summary should serve these purposes:

1. List and showcase what was done at the hackfest
2. Show the fun everyone had working together during and after the hackfest
3. Generate excitement for future hackfests, both to attract funding
and participants.
4. Show that you don't have to fly out to participate in the hackfest,
and it can be done remotely like Jabier did.

The problems we had at the venue probably shouldn't be mentioned
unless there's some purpose for doing so. It sounds like an excuse
that we didn't get more done, and we got a lot accomplished in just 4+
days. (I think we should mention the fact that many participants were
motivated to keep working after the 4 days were over to get some of
the new features finished up, and make sure regressions are handled.

Things that were particularly inspiring for me was seeing all the
students using Inkscape randomly in the room next to ours (I have some
pictures of it). When you see the extent to which Inkscape is used and
enjoyed by others, the scope of what you are contributing to comes
into focus, and it's very motivating. I think we should share such
things with our developers and user community. When you are giving to
Inkscape, you are giving a tremendous gift to the entire world, and
the results of your efforts are amplified millions of times to people
who rely on Inkscape for their work, education and play.
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Maren Hachmann
2017-07-14 11:25:06 UTC
Please let translators know when the article has been finalized, and
they can resume translating that huge batch.

Thank you.

Maren
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Martin Owens
2017-07-14 15:51:09 UTC
Post by Maren Hachmann
Please let translators know when the article has been finalized, and
they can resume translating that huge batch.
Thank you.
The article is published. It's done. Any changes now are going to be
spelling, so please translators, and social media exporters, please go
ahead.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Martin Owens
2017-07-14 13:34:13 UTC
Hi CR,

Writing an article which provides the same functionality as the one
which is now published and out there, might be too late now and will
create some problems. Firstly because it will recreate work, but also
because it'll make the author feel like his work and process was so
deficient that only a rewrite would make it work.

The best option is to create an additional article. I have no problems
publishing more than one article about the hackfest from different
authors, different perspectives. So if you'd like to pen an article
about being a non-coding hackfest attendee and write it from a personal
perspective. Or maybe write more in depth about the social events. Or
some other aspect (that I can't even imagine) It wouldn't be an issue
at all.

I would insist though that you will have to use the website to submit
the article. I can help make sure your user account is set up will the
right staff privileges to write articles if you'd like to do it.

The other completely different angle is to submit an article to a
personal blog. We used to have planet.inkscape.org to publish blogs
from inkscape contributors, so blogging is a completely legit way of
writing about Inkscape.

Let me know.

Regards, Martin Owens
/
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
--------
el
C R
2017-07-14 14:42:52 UTC
Don't want to step on anyone's toes. I'll wait till next year.

-C
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
el
C R
2017-07-14 15:11:13 UTC
No, that's too brief a response. It will raise questions. :)

For the record, I like the article as-is. Just thought since it was
being published as the official hackfest summary there was more room
for changes (like most of the other content on the site).
I didn't mean to offend anyone. Indeed, I wouldn't have thought how to
improve the message if I'd not read the initial. So at best I'd have
been building on the work already done.

I'd be interested to know if there's a difference between what I
experienced as a "non-coder" and everyone else who wrote code at and
after the hackfest. I mean when I was talking through user interaction
with inkscape with Tav and you, Martin, we were doing the same thing
together. When I made the icons, and got feedback from peoplle that
requested them, we were doing the same thing there too. It was doing
stuff together that was enjoyable, not what was done specifically.

I used to code, and group-coding gave me the same thrill that working
in a group does when everyone was doing different things. It's the
common goal that matters. That's really the motivation. So for me it's
not really useful to write a different article from a different
perspective, since I don't honestly believe it was a different
perspective.

Was just thinking we could take what's already written, and gear it
towards the benefit of the project. I do a lot of this sort of thing
for work, so it's something else I could help out with.

Always at your service,
-C
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
el
Martin Owens
2017-07-14 15:56:34 UTC
Thanks CR,

I understand the need to make the best presentation.

In this case, I pushed to get the article done pretty quickly, so what
I'll do next time is open the editing itself up. That way multiple
people can edit the text of the article before it goes live.

And we'll kick it off when the hackfest starts.

Best Regards, Martin Owens
Post by C R
If we are okay with waiting until the weekend, I can do a write-
up of
the hackfest, and add more pictures, and include what was exciting for
me about what we accomplished. I think the current write-up
is
quite
good, so I'll use it as a basis and reference for my
version.
I feel we could shout more about the venue (it was an incredible
place!) and give an insight into the excitement that
accompanies
the
hackfest event. Maybe get more people excited about joining
us
next
time, if we'd like that.
-C
il.com
Post by Martin Owens
Thanks Elisa,
Can you add all the photos under your account on
inkscape.org?
I'll
make sure they go into the right gallery, but if you
upload
them, then
the attribution is to you, which is the best way.
https://inkscape.org/en/gallery/=photograph/elisa-hackfes
t-2017
/
Best Regards, Martin Owens
On Thu, 2017-07-13 at 10:38 +0200, Elisa Godoy de Castro
Guerra
[...]
aberma
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Am Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2017, 11:27:20 CEST schrieb
Martin
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Martin Owens
[...]
..."
part. IMO
- 2nd last paragraph: "and to talk everyone" ->
"and to
thank
everyone"
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab
where
you
mention the work
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
------
--------
pe-dev
el
------
--------
-devel
------
--------
evel
el
Elisa Godoy de Castro Guerra
2017-07-15 10:07:07 UTC
Hello,

I not have seen any blue submit button.
I have uploaded all my photos.
But i don't know where are they....

Sorry, but could you, please, see and reorganize them to the right place ?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Elisa
Post by Martin Owens
[...]
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Elisa de Castro Guerra
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alex Valavanis
2017-07-15 22:37:34 UTC
Thanks Martin, for preparing this. Good work! :)

AV

On 15 July 2017 at 11:07, Elisa Godoy de Castro Guerra
Post by Maren Hachmann
You forgot to mention Elisa and Cédric :)
Also, what happened on the other 3 days?
Any info on the barbecue?
Maren
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Post by Martin Owens
Dear developers,
Dear Martin,
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
Maybe sprinkle in some links to commits in gitlab where you
mention the work
Post by Tobias Ellinghaus
done at the hackfest?
Post by Martin Owens
Best Regards, Martin Owens
Tobias
Elisa de Castro Guerra
Ryan Gorley
2017-07-12 17:48:14 UTC
Thanks for writing this! At first I thought it had too many details that
didn't pertain to what I was interested in as a user, which was what
features are being worked on, but as I read it more I kind of liked getting
a more complete picture of what the event was like. Here are a few thoughts:

1. It would be nice to start by explaining to newcomers what the
Hackfest is, and why it is organized.
2. I think the people you all reference in here have profiles on
Inkscape, it could be nice to link to those so I know better who you're
referring to.
3. I like that you mentioned and linked to the Boston hackfest for next
year. I would close by inviting people to participate or donate (with a
link) to make the next event possible.

Thanks!
brynn
2017-07-12 22:10:10 UTC
Typo: last sentence, 2nd to last paragraph

"....this way the last day...." probably should be "....this was the last
day...."

I'll fix :-)

All best,
brynn